Monday, April 9, 2012

A sadness...

Last November I adopted this cat from a customer. Their life style had changed and they wanted to do a lot of traveling. "Archie," the cat, would have had to spend a lot of time at the boarding facility. He was 13 when I brought him home, and I admit to some hesitation at adopting an older pet. But he was big and healthy and handsome and I had admired him over several years of regular grooming visits. I renamed him Catfish Hunter and he has been a delight to have around. A few weeks ago I noticed his appetite had decreased some. And he did things he didn't normally do, like hang out in the bath tub. And the lymph nodes under his jaws were enlarged. After this discovery I palpated his other lymph nodes and to my horror they were all huge. So, off to the veterinarian where I got the news I didn't want to hear. Catfish Hunter has lymphoma. We are treating him with steroids to reduce his symptoms. His lymph nodes have shrunk to a remarkable degree and his appetite is back with a vengeance. We'll treat him as long as we can keep him comfortable and happy, and we'll enjoy his regal presence in our lives. In this photo he draped himself on the dining room table, joining supper guests as we enjoyed an after meal conversation. He looked so dashing I had to capture the moment. The animals I share my life with bring riches of pleasure; and when it is their time to go the deep sadness is tempered by the memories of past joys.

1 comment:

Cheryl and Phil said...

Oh, Daryl, I'm so sorry. I hope the steroids give you all a good long stretch of quality time together. Keep me posted about his progress, please.