Wednesday, April 18, 2012

In the garden and goats...

Early peas? They are UP!
And so is spinach! I can hardly wait to eat fresh greens from my garden. Normally I do not plant one thing until May 30, when all chance of frost has passed here in Maine. This year I got all bold and planted hardy crops that like the cold. It is a treat to see tiny seedlings coming along so far before the time I normally plant.
The baby buckling is a delight. One cannot help but smile to see him as he runs (he is a RACE goat!) and leaps and twists. He is a vibrant creature, full of life.
And Luna, the "mama goat" is filling out on her new diet. She loves to be brushed; standing very still and squinching her eyes shut in obviously apparent bliss. She seems glad to see me when I come home, and rubs against me when I am near. If I am sitting she puts her face next to mine and becomes very quiet. We are becoming friends. Who knew I needed a goat? Who knew a goat needed me?

1 comment:

Cheryl and Phil said...

Daryl, I never took Latin, but one thing I did learn when we had goats was that the root for the word "capricious" is "caprus," the Latin word for "goat." So when the buckling is acting "capricous," you'll know why! p.s. please tell me he's a wether now....