Monday, April 30, 2012

How to meet new friends...

This afternoon we were doing yard work. Mowing, weeding, raking, hauling and weed-wacking. It was lovely. A strange car pulled into the driveway and a woman got out. I thought perhaps they were lost. She approached me and said, "I drive past here all the time and admire your chickens. Is there any way you'd show me your coop?" Well then! There was the sort of invitation I don't get every day. "OF COURSE!" Little did the poor woman know that I long to yank total strangers off the street just to show them the wonderfulness of our "Coop de Ville." I was quite glad that it was recently cleaned, boasting gleaming windows and fresh smelling shavings. So then we got talking. The woman and her husband spent the last 10 years living on a boat. Before that they lived in Pennsylvania. They are building a new home near me. The woman said, "I want to be like you and have a lot of animals." I gave her my email address and said, "We can be new best friends." As soon as the words left my mouth I felt stupid. But her face lit up, "Really? I don't know anyone here!" So there you have it. Get a few chickens, make new friends. Life is good.

2 comments:

Cottagecheap said...

I'm happy for you, but tell her I saw you first! LOL

XO you are a great friend, she is a lucky girl!

Not So Apropos said...

"The art of being happy lies in the power of extracting happiness from common things." -Henry Ward Beecher

And you do! You do.