Monday, May 7, 2012

BEE-utiful..!

My friend came over today and opened up my bee hive. I was on pins and needles, hoping upon hope that all was well within its walls. Tra la, tra la! I spotted the queen, (the longer bee in the top photo, center-ish) and there was lots and LOTS of capped brood. This means the queen is successfully laying eggs and those eggs are developing and hatching into wonderful new bees. My hive is growing! It is tucked up under some apple and pear trees, and because today is warm and sunny the bees have been very active. They zip from one dandelion blossom to the next, and the fruit trees are fairly humming with bee activity. It gives me great pleasure to know the animals in my care are thriving... from the worms in the dark soil of the vermicomposter bin to the bees in the air and all the birds and mammals in between.

1 comment:

Ginny said...

I see your queen! So exciting! And all those sweet faces in your last post-I love them!