Friday, June 29, 2012

Just sitting...

It has been a very busy week, and I have not touched my camera in days. When I got home from work today the weather was perfect... the sun was warm but there was a lovely breeze that kept any bugs away and just felt good. I took a few minutes and just sat. Then it occurred to me that I should probably cook some supper, so I went inside and threw a quiche together, (fresh goat milk and fresh eggs, so nice!)
Once the quiche was in the oven I took my camera and a muck bucket and went out into the meadow. I plunked the bucket upside down and sat... the grass undulated in the breeze, and all the animals arranged themselves near me. The world was quiet except for the sound of the wind, bird songs and the quiet sounds of contented livestock.
I fed the piglets. It is great fun to watch them eat, they enjoy food so very much. After they were full they played... spinning, running, flopping on the ground to roll around, rooting in the dirt. They are the picture of contentment.
I find that having time to be still and in the presence of nature and my animals brings me peace and deep joy. And laughter! While I was sitting on my bucket the horse came up and pressed her big face along my spine. The buckling nibbled on my tee shirt, and the pigs made me smile with their antics.
My batteries recharged,I headed back up to the house and shared a quiet supper with my husband. I will call this day well done, and my favorite moments were spent just sitting.

No comments: