Sunday, June 10, 2012

Porcupine Sunday...

I love my husbands hands. I especially love them when he is doing something wonderful like putting new tires on my wheelbarrow. Proof that I probably need years of psychotherapy, I woke this morning and was immediately delighted to think, "I can shovel manure today!" Before I could partake in the joy of manure shoveling, we had to run a few errands and take our trash to the transfer station. On the way home, right near our house, we saw a juvenile porcupine cross the road. I grabbed my trusty camera and chased him into the woods. I got one photo before he climbed a huge pine tree and vanished into the canopy. Today was one of those days that the weather was so absolutely perfect I wished I could clone it. The sort of day that we Mainer's put up with a lot of not so perfect days for. Sunny, breezy, low humidity, mid 70's temperature range. I spent every possible second outside. And the iris are blooming. The apple tree is putting out tiny little fruit... I had to look close to even see the wee apples forming. And I wanted to tell you about something I find fascinating- the way the animals here on the farm interact. There are the "obvious" relationships; the dogs all hang out together, but that is not so odd, as dogs are pack animals and it is expected that they relate to one another. But then there are more unique pairings. I have found that the chickens, (birds often characterized as being stupid) have definite preferences for which birds they hang out with, sleep next to, partake of dust baths with and even hunt with. And the inter-species relationships are intriguing. The rabbit hangs out with the chickens all day, but likes to sleep near the ducks at night. The pony not only seems to like the goats, but lets the buckling chew on her mane and tail, weave around under her legs as she walks, steal her food and jump all over her. Last weekend we added two tiny pigs to the farm. Since they were so small, we made a temporary pen for them in the poultry yard. Yesterday I found Belle, the Muscovy duck in the pigs area. I thought perhaps she had gotten in there by mistake and was having trouble getting out,so I tried to help her leave. She was not interested in leaving, and spent the night in the little temporary pig house, snuggled in between the piglets. This morning she left the pen, but after she had breakfast she went right back in and spent the entire day with her new pals. I tell people that we have a rule here that everyone must get along. For the most part, everyone does. And it is a wonder to me to watch the animals work out the intricate relationships that they do.

No comments: