Sunday, October 21, 2012

Bucket list...

The term "bucket list" refers to things people want to do before they die. For about the last 20 years the biggest thing on my list was to get my child raised to the point where she was a competent adult and could thrive without me. I think I can check that off my list now. And there is something else I can check off my list, thanks to my precious friend Liz Czak.
Today we took our horses to Popham beach and rode through sand and surf. There were other horses there, and "normal" people strolling on this beautiful day. Words cannot really express how perfect it was... my pony excited and happy under me, the wind and sun surrounding me, the scent of sea and sand, and the incredible beauty of the ocean, islands, lighthouses and more. I giggled quite a lot as we splashed and trotted along.
Liz and Peach are a lovely team.
After the ride, we took the saddles and bridles off and walked the horses back to the beach so they could have a good roll in the sand. Chanel, (my pony) is fond of rolling, and she indulged in not one, but TWO good rolls in the deep, soft sand. Then she snacked on hay while I brushed the sweat and sand off her coat. The humans picnicked on cold fried chicken and home made biscuits... with some terrific carrot cake for dessert. It was a magical day. My bucket is emptier, but my heart is full and my memory is rich.

No comments: