Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Hurricane Chores...

http://bartoz.deviantart.com/art/Rain-86092287 (I almost always use my own photos, but this one was borrowed.) While NY and NJ and the like were being hammered by Hurricane Sandy yesterday, we had some gusty winds and a smattering of rain. We got off easy. But today I got a bit more of a taste of the storm. I took all 4 of my dogs to work today so they could get groomed, and I also took the duck for a splint change at the veterinarians. Then a customer called and asked if I could take care of her dog for the night. When I arrived at home it was raining hard. I got all 5 dogs out of the truck and into the house. Dusk was falling fast, and I wanted to get the pigs fed before it got too dark. I shrugged on a rain jacket and headed outside. The back yard was standing water. I've never seen it so wet. I scooped up the pig food and slogged through the mud. It was very, very slippery. The new buck dashed out of the shed to greet me, then changed his mind and dashed back in. Goats do not like rain. The pigs area is awfully wet. It makes me feel bad for them, but their little hut is pretty dry and they were not complaining. By this time I was completely drenched. The rain laughed at my little jacket and rivulets were running down my back and arms. Back up the hill, I tucked the chickens into their snug coop for the night, collecting 11 lovely eggs while I was at it. Then I went to the garage, readied the milking station for a goat, grabbed some hay and headed out to the shed. I had the presence of mind to bring a lead rope. The goats tucked into the hay, I snapped the lead rope onto the first girl goat I came to and hauled her out into the deluge. She was not amused. She planted her little pointed hooves into the dirt and leaned back in her best imitation of a mule. I outweigh her by a bit and kept walking. She finally decided that if she wanted to stay with her head, she should come with me. She cried all the way, as if each rain drop were burning her flesh. After she had her supper and was milked, we repeated the trek through the wet, the water in the yard was noticeably deeper. At the shed I snapped the lead onto the next goat and dragged her, too, out to be milked. Once done, I secured the goats in their cozy shed and readied the injured ducks cage for her. I put in fresh shavings and a layer of fragrant hay. I filled he bowls with fresh food and water, and got her settled in. My hair was dripping,I could barely see out of my glasses, and I realized those new muck boots I splurged on yesterday were an excellent choice. Back inside I peeled the wet clothes off at the door,started a fire, got dinner going and fed the dogs. And took a long moment to be so grateful that rain like this does not happen every day.

1 comment:

solarity said...

Glad you haven't floated away, or blown away. Glad the duck's doing all right.
I got peed on by a 123 pound lab today; I wasn't as wet as you were.

Mary Anne in Kentucky