Sunday, October 7, 2012

With camera in hand...

There was a lot to love about today. Up early the air was crisp and cool. After feeding and watering the critters I set about to tidy up the house after a busy week. The porch windows caught my eye... the condensation in lovely heart shapes. I caught the image, and decided to take lots of pictures today. I kept my camera in hand everywhere I went.
We took our trash to the transfer station, then stopped and got a load of hay at this funky old barn. Our garage has been a hot mess, and we've been nibbling away at cleaning it. We made a big dent in it today, and with 15 or so bales of hay stacked along one wall the air is fragrant and sweet.
I brushed the goats. They LOVE to be brushed, and stand very, very still while I work. I took their collars off to wash them, and put jaunty bandanas on instead. They wear collars because it makes it so handy to grab them if they are getting into mischief or lead them somewhere you want them to be. The top photo is Sanuba, our newest goat. I have the hardest time with the name she came with, and somehow it has morphed into "Super Nova." She comes happily to Nova when I call her. She is a BIG goat, and very sweet. The second shot is of Luna. It is tricky to photograph her because if I am outside she is most always very close to me, leaning against me and begging for some pats. I brushed Chanel, (the horse) too. After a week of rain she was mud-crusted and disreputable looking. She is very good about being groomed, standing still,nudging my pockets to see if there might be a hidden treat.
Chanel and I have a fun new game. At 24 she is getting old, as horses go, but she still has a bit of pep! Sometimes she gets a certain look in her eye, and with the slightest encouragement from me she will buck and race around the pasture, tossing her head in glee. Sometimes she'll run right at me, and I stand very, VERY still, in faith that she will swerve around me. She does, at the last possible second, and I can feel the wind from her racing form as she dusts past. I shriek in glee, and she'll race by then do it again. It is obvious that she finds this fun. I do, too.
This is one of the very pretty hens I added to the flock this year. They are called "Americauna" or "Easter Egg" chickens. Their eggs range in shades from sky blue to green, and are fun to see mixed in with the brown eggs.
Now, as the late afternoon sun slants in, the dogs enjoy its rays while they lounge in front of the wood stove. I will toss another log on for them, then go start evening chores. Yes, there was much lovely about today.

1 comment:

solarity said...

Oh, my, they are pretty hens! That one is so elegantly well built. I don't care what color eggs they lay, but they look so nice I might give up my idea of Buff Orpingtons to honor my grandmother.
Chanel looks a lot younger than 24. May she live to be 38 like Man O'War.

Mary Anne in Kentucky