Monday, October 8, 2012

Pumpkins and scenery...

In the fall I get a lot of pleasure from two things. One is decorating the house with seasonal things like gourds and pumpkins. Especially WHITE pumpkins. They are not always easy to find, and I make a game out of the hunt. The second thing is going for scenic drives to admire the foliage and beauty of the landscape here in Maine. Today Chris and I went for a drive and along the way we passed an old pick up truck with pumpkins displayed for sale. We both noticed the white pumpkins (good husband points!) and he turned the car around.
We noted that there was no one at the truck... no one anywhere to be seen in the whole area. I was a bit distressed for a moment. I wanted to bring home some white pumpkins, how would this work? Then I noticed it.
Reason 8,972 why I LOVE living in Maine. An honor box... pick out your pumpkin and leave your money in the box. One pumpkin that I wanted had no price, so I added a dollar to what I thought it would be worth and brought it home. Now three shapely white pumpkins are decorating my dining room table, and the memory of picking them off the truck by the side of the road and tucking money in the honor box makes me smile. We passed lovely trees in all shades of copper and gold. We passed water views and saw a bald eagle swoop low overhead.
Then it was back home to chores and many things to do. But the respite from the daily routine was a sensory delight.

2 comments:

solarity said...

You'll enjoy the sign I saw in northern Kentucky on my way to a dog show. I'd been to the show Saturday, and passed a farm vegetable stand with an honor box and a price list. When I went back Sunday, the box and list were gone and there was a sign saying "On Sunday we rest. Help yourselves to all you want."

Mary Anne in Kentucky

vicky said...

I wish I could see your fall colors. I'm going to Wisconsin at the end of Octoner, but I think I will miss the. Hanging of the leaves. That's nice about your pumpkin.