Friday, November 23, 2012

And then we gave thanks...

Chris loves to have what he calls "a gracious plenty" for our guests. Every year he sets up a bar that makes people say, "WOW."
I took a break from preparing a "gracious plenty" of food to enjoy a mimosa. Flirt joined me for a snuggle. And then company began to arrive...
Including these two characters, whom I refer to as "my hideously unattractive nieces."
And we dined. The food was great, if I do say so myself. My sister Deb and I do most of the prep work and we are a good team in the kitchen. We say to each other, "We have this down to a fine science!" And we do. Of course, lots of people contribute to the meal, and as the "kids" get older they help more and more. Who knew they'd grow to be such good cooks?
There was a highlight to the evening, too. Daughter Rachel proposed that we go around the table and everyone state what they were thankful for. When we got to the last two people, niece Aimee and her beloved Tim stood up and came to the end of the table where I was sitting. They said what they were thankful for and then...
The both dropped to one knee and in unison said, "Aunt Daryl, will you marry us?" I didn't quite know what they meant... until they explained that they, literally, wanted me to MARRY them. As in, perform the wedding ceremony. Well, how delighted could one aunt be? (The answer to this question is "pretty darn delighted!")
After supper there was more laughter and conversation. And pie. So much to give thanks for.

No comments: