Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Thanksgiving beginnings...

Traditionally I take the day off on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. I spend the day in my cozy house cooking, listening to pretty music, and getting ready for the feast. When I got home from work tonight (Tuesday) I decided there were a few things I could get started on early. So, I baked a rum cake (they are actually better if they have a couple of days to sit and mellow before they are eaten)and a pan of corn bread (for the dressing... not too fresh is best.)
I snuggled three loaves of whole wheat bread up near the wood stove to rise. I make this bread often so it is not particularly "special" to us, but guests seem to really like it.
And while I was doing all that I made a huge vat of stock with turkey, onions, celery, carrots, garlic, pepper and a couple of cloves. It smells amazing and will made our dressing and gravy extra delicious. You might note something not very Thankgiving-y there by the stove. Lobsters! A co-worker of my husbands brought him 4 lobsters today. So in the midst of preparing for this most fallish of feasts, I also boiled up some summery lobsters. Now I am enjoying mine with a glass of wine while I settle in and gear up for lots more cooking tomorrow.

No comments: