Thursday, November 8, 2012

First snow...

My corner of the world was blanketed in about 4 inches of heavy, wet snow this morning.
Although the native birds and animals are beautifully adapted to winter weather, I find my livestock to be unamused by the change.
Luna goat was SHIVERING yesterday morning when I went out to feed and milk. I came home with a coat for her. I have no idea if it is advisable or appropriate to put a coat on a goat, but she seemed to rather like the idea. This morning she seemed toasty warm and quite content with her stylish new outfit. I know the neighbors are going to talk.
The pigs nearly refused to come out of their little hut this morning. I put their food bowls, full of good things and warm goat milk, right outside the door... they grunted and grunted and peered at the white world and ignored the food for a very long time. (NOTE: this is highly unusual for them!) I finally put it right under their noses, and after they'd had a bite or 6 pulled the bowls out far enough so they had to enter the world to eat. This was a slow breakfast... they kept looking around in wonder. Finally they finished their food and drank greedily of the warm water I poured for them. They wandered about a bit, took care of bathroom needs and then gathered their curly tails and cloven hooves and went right back to the hut. I worry about them being warm enough, they have such sparse coats. I don't plan to buy them store-bought coats any time soon, however. Winter chores are a good bit different than those I do in warm weather. There are jugs of water to haul (the hoses are frozen solid,) and extra food to supply. It is dark when I get home and I wear a very fashionable blaze orange ball cap with little LED lights in the brim to guide my way. There is little temptation to linger and watch the critters. It is all business and warm boots and hurry up. I am adapting to the new rhythm, and find great pleasure in knowing the animals have all they need, snow or no.

1 comment:

solarity said...

Little LED lights in the brim? I NEEEED this to scoop poop after dark, now that dark comes before closing at the kennel!

Mary Anne in Kentucky