Monday, November 12, 2012

Peace and contentment...

One of the joys in my life is that I write articles for magazines. I love the process of writing and the opportunity to (hopefully) teach and entertain others. The actual process of writing is both exhilarating and exhausting, and every article takes much longer for me to wrestle out of my brain and turn into an actual, readable piece than I expect it will. Today I had a deadline for a new editor, and there was a lack of communication that made getting the article done rather frustrating. When I was finally finished and the thing was sent, I felt out of sorts. I have a long list of things I need to do before the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday, and had planned to work on that list this afternoon, but I couldn't manage to get myself motivated and moving. It was a beautiful day, unseasonably warm and sunny. I took myself outside to do some little projects there, and before I knew it I had a brush in my hand and was brushing the goats.
The goats enjoy this, and within moments I was feeling calmer. Next I eyeballed my awfully muddy horse and I began to brush her as she moseyed around the pasture. The goats followed along and I took turns brushing each animal. After a while I plunked myself down at our picnic table. Chanel (the horse) came over and stood in front of me. I ran the brush down the underside of her neck and over her chest. Her lower lip quivered, a sure sign she was enjoying the attention. She inched her way closer and closer to me, until her front legs were touching my knees. She alternately rested her chin on top of my head, or moved her velvety lips down the side of my face to my neck, where she would inhale deeply, then blow warm, moist air against me. The goats both nosed in, leaning on me, leaning on the horse. I petted them, ran the brush over their bodies, scratched their favorite places. The chickens were scritching around and making contented sounds, the dogs were soaking up the sun on the deck. It was peaceful. I was content.
And times like these are what makes leaping out of bed in the dark to milk the goats, haul water in the cold,and pull hay out of my hair from time to time worthwhile. These animals give me so much joy.

No comments: