Friday, October 2, 2015

Dusk on the farmlet...

We had a stunning sunset last night. It started out pretty and became more exquisite with each passing second.



As the days are getting shorter, more of my chore time is spent in low light. Soon it will be dark when I milk and feed. Tonight, when all the animals were taken care of, the sun had set. It was dark enough that I wished I had brought a flashlight out with me. My last job was to lock up the chickens to keep them safe from predators. I heard a sound and noticed that Ziva froze, staring towards the tree line at the edge of the field. I stopped to listen. It was a pack of coyotes,very nearby, singing the day to sleep. Ziva roared at them in protest, and the "song dogs" went silent.

Inside the wood stove was glowing and the house felt warm and cozy as I shut the door against the dark.

No comments: