Friday, October 30, 2015

Happy surprises...

It has been a busy week in my little grooming studio. Today is Friday and I had appointments back to back all day. I also had two amazing surprises.

The first one startled me a little. I was bathing two little dogs, listening to music and not expecting anyone for two hours, when out of the corner of my eye I saw a very tall man at my door. My heart skipped a beat before I recognized it was one of my regular customers. He had brought me the most amazing loaf of freshly baked artisan bread... crusty and fragrant, pretty much the most delicious bread I've ever tasted.

The day progressed on, and as I was checking out a customer the mail lady backed into my driveway in her white Jeep. She honked her horn, then came up the steps to hand me my mail, with a large, flat package. The package was wrapped in heavy brown paper, and taped with duct tape that boasted sporty Scottish Terriers marching across it. And it had the return address of a customer that I am extremely fond of. She is the kind of person that I meet once in a while and feel an immediate connection to. I look forward to her visits and time she is here flies past as we chat and laugh. She is an artist, and shares photos of her work on Facebook. I have thought, on more than one occasion, how much I would love to buy one of her paintings. They have a wonderful, happy, magical, energy to them.

The woman I was checking out was clearly fascinated by the package the mail lady gave me. "Want to wait and see what is?" I asked, "YES!" she said, "Open it up!" I did... and my eyes filled with tears at the same time a huge smile split my face. It was an odd sensation. I was so glad there was someone here to share with.



An oil painting... of MY HOUSE! Every detail, right down to the arbor, my business sign, and a moon that if you look carefully, has a suggestion of a sweet smile on its wide face. And snow! I love this cozy house in the snow, and this painting captures the whole joyful feel of the place.

I've been spending a lot of time feeling grateful lately, and the gifts of bread and paintings gave me so much more to be thankful for. I am blessed.

No comments: