Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Juggling chainsaws...


God gives people individual gifts. Sometimes the gift we receive is one we never could have imagined when we are 5 years old and patting our Aunt's cat ever-so-gently and being severely bitten.

Some people have gifts of compassion, of healing, of creating something wonderful, or of making gobs of money. My gift? Grooming cats. The cat pictured here is a Maine Coon Cat. A big guy... 15+ pounds. Solid muscle, and long, matted fur. And I groomed him... combing his back, sides, muscular thighs. I shaved his belly. I gave him a wonderful, warm, fragrant bath. Then I combed and fluffed him dry. He was mostly very sweet about all this... but he had his moments, see above. This grooming thing is a feat I repeat often.

Please note the size of the fangs on this kitty. And he had claws to match.

Here is a point of interest to non-groomer types. MOST cat bites become infected. This is because cats have these fangs that inject pasturella multocide bacteria, a little staph and a variety of other nasties deep into your flesh. In the last 25 years I have only had a handful of cat bites... only one requiring medical attention (and it healed beautifully!) I groom most cats with no restraints, occasionally having someone hold the cat for just some small portion of the procedure, like when I clip the "potty" area, an area no self respecting cat will tolerate without some struggle.

I am not sure why I have this odd talent. But I do. God does have a sense of humor.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

D'Gaye said...

meYou know Daryl I never considered myself a cat person, but I have found that I have a knack for cats as well. No bites yet.... a few scratchs many years ago that left good scars. I have had cats with such terrible turtle shells that it almost seems like once they understand what I am doing they become even more cooperative. Yes there have been a handful that have required veterinary sedation....those are the most cooperattive of all .GRIN