Saturday, July 4, 2009

Fourth of July

When I was a little kid in a small town, the 4Th was marked by watching the parade down Topsfield Road. My daddy would march with the other members of the American Legion, kids would ride bikes decorated with crepe paper, firemen would throw penny candy from their shiny trucks, sirens screaming and bells ringing. At days end we'd run on the dark lawn clutching sparklers in our sweaty mitts, rivaling the lightning bugs. The older boys would throw fire crackers and shoot bottle rockets into night sky. It was "big stuff."

I met my sweet husband, 4th of July weekend, 1983. I was sharing an ice cream cone with my dog. Chris walked up and said, "Nice dog, ever wash him?" It was a lame pick up line, but it worked. Later that night he asked me to marry him. 8 dates later we eloped. We found out we were expecting Rachel, our daughter, 4th of July four years after that. We moved to Memphis from Massachusetts 4th of July in 1989, and to Maine 4th of July 2003. Of course none of this was planned. But it was all "big stuff," our own personal sparklers and fireworks. Who knows what big stuff lies ahead?

Happy Independence Day!

No comments: