Thursday, January 13, 2011

Regrets...


I have blogged before about having to put one of my chickens down. I had to do it again this morning. Henrietta was one of the original group of four pullets that I bought when I fulfilled my lifelong dream of having laying hens. I thought she was particularly pretty, with the most white in her chest feathers, and a very round shape. She was a tame and gentle chicken.

She has not been quite right for several months. Shaking her head and having some balance issues. I should have put her down as soon as she began showing symptoms, but I kept hoping she'd be OK. I researched chicken illnesses; treated her with things that should help what she showed symptoms of. I rubbed mineral oil in her ears in case she had ear mites. I treated her for worms in case internal parasites were a problem. I put supplements in her food and water. She didn't get any worse, and maybe improved a bit. Then in the past two days she got much, much worse. By this morning it was evident that a decision had to be made. And I made it and I hated it.

But that got me to thinking that in general I tend to put things off too long. And that is the basis of many of my regrets in life. It wasn't much easier killing her today than it would have been a few months back.

So, on my long list of things to work on... stop procrastinating so much. It only brings regrets, and I could do with fewer of those.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I feel for you :(. I had to do the same thing a couple of months ago. My smallest was losing the color in her comb and it looked like she was getting better and until one day we came home and she was hiding under the desk barely breathing.

Daryl said...

Thank you Stephen. I like the photo of you with your chicken. They are amazingly engaging creatures. Blessings!

Rain said...

I'm so sorry about your beautiful chicken-some of mine are a few years old and I'm afraid this will be happening to a couple soon. Maine is a hard area for them & I wish they could go outside more-they miss it so!

Lisa said...

That's so sad, Daryl. She's beautiful!

It was great to meet you, Chris, and Deb last night, and I've enjoyed all the entries currently on the page. A lovely spot.

You are welcome to check out my blog, which is mostly ignored these days, but in any case is a much more "dark and story" place than this! :)

We are sending an invitation to Scott and Marion's for you to Pies and Portaits on the 29th.