Monday, January 3, 2011

The "stuff" around us...

Friends of ours are embarking on a dream this week. They have retired, purchased a motor home, and will be traveling the U.S. I am very excited for them, they are going to have adventures yet unimagined. I admire that they are actually going to do this big thing that they have planned. It is a huge change, and change, even when it's exciting and wonderful is hard.

They came for supper tonight. I got out my grandmothers sterling flatware, and my pretty antique china dishes. I lit the candles in my crystal candle sticks. In other words, I trotted out a lot STUFF. Some of the stuff was very ordinary, such as my favorite bread pans.
One of the things that boggles my mind about what my friends are doing is that they ... GOT RID OF THEIR STUFF. They sold the house they'd lived in all the years they raised a family. They sold grandmas china and the kids beds and the wine glasses. They gave away the bird feeders and the electric fence chargers and the Christmas decorations. This must be incredibly freeing. They have no garage to clean, no gardens to weed, no home repairs. They have let go of the stuff that tethers most of us and in so doing are now released to a level of freedom that most Americans never experience.

I think it takes a great deal of maturity, security and wisdom to part with the security blanket of "stuff" that we surround ourselves with. ( I am definitely not that mature. )
Safe and wonderful travels, my friends! I am watching you and learning and admiring. I can hardly wait so hear of the excitement that awaits you!


4 comments:

Cheryl and Phil said...

Thank you, Daryl, for dinner, for being a wonderful friend, and for your sweet words. It's not "goodbye;" it's "see you later," because I will.

Daryl said...

Well YEAH I'll see you. And read you. And admire you. And envy you a little. You are so special to me.

Jeannine said...

The people who used to own the little lake next to us did that a year ago...'cept they weren't retiring & they're our age w/ a 10 year old ! Ended up with a tiny house & just started all over & they love it ! got rid of all their gardening stuff, crafts & everything

Rain said...

Love your ironing board with flowers and candles-I'm getting mine out of the attic-you inspired me! I try to send a bag to be repurposed every few weeks!