Thursday, January 20, 2011

Time is on my side...

I admit it... I struggle with my grasp of time.



A lesson I have to learn and relearn is this; I can accomplish quite a lot in a very small amount of time if I just try. I tend to think that certain tasks will take much, MUCH more time than I have to give. Here is an example; I have a drawer in my kitchen that is euphamistically called "the junk drawer." Any small household item without a home finds it way there. At any given moment you can find a hammer, nails, tacks, tape, a tape measure, a pack of gum, several pens, some paper clips, a note pad, matches, deposit slips, pocket change, a comb for the dog, some random keys, razor blades, sticky tack, postage stamps and a half dozen screw drivers crammed in that small space. It vexes me that this drawer is frequently messy and disorganized. But I put off cleaning it out because it seems like such a huge project. In truth, I can tidy that sucker up in less than 15 minutes if I set my mind to it. I know I can, because I have done it. (This lesson is nurtured by the site www.flylady.net.)



And don't get me started on writing. I tend to put off writing ideas because writing will take SO much TIME. In December I posted about the site http://www.750words.com/ Because of this site I have written every day for 30+ days, and in that time I have compiled over 25,000 words. That is a short novel! And it was effortless and fun. I am amazed that I could write so much in such a short span.



Like the old Rolling Stones song says, time is on my side. It is a lesson I have to learn time after time.



No comments: