Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Pretty things...


Here are some lovely things from around our holiday house to share with you.

The ancient hutch in the front room is laden with little lights and Christmas decorations.  My two favorites are here.  My daughter made figures of Mary, baby Jesus and two lovely angels when she was in high school.  I treasure them.  In the next photo is another prize... a nativity scene made by my friend Kathy; one of the first people I met when I moved to Memphis with our tiny infant.  Kathy was a lifeline for me during a lonely time, and I think of her often, especially when I carefully unpack these sweet ceramic figures every December.

The tree this year is decorated rather simply... white lights, little icicle ornaments, crocheted snowflakes and antique crystals (which I gleefully purchased at a variety of antique/junk stores.) It reminds us of starry night and snow and smells like heaven.

The bottom photo shows some knitting projects my daughter and I have been working on.  The purple and blue items are shawls we knit as gifts for some very special people, and the top, frothy looking item is a wonderful scarf which is still "in progress."

We had a visitor once who made my heart sing when she said, "Everywhere I look in your house there is something beautiful to admire."  I try to remember this when I am focusing on the dust bunnies and clutter and doggy nose prints on the windows.  There is so much pretty here to focus on instead.  

No comments: