Saturday, November 16, 2013



The moon is just shy of being full. This evening it rose large and with slow magnificence. I didn't have a tripod handy so the images are a bit blurry, but you can catch a glimpse of the beauty I witnessed in the cold air on our deck.

Did you know the full moon each month has its own name? The November full moon is known as the "Frosty Moon," or, more commonly, "The full beaver moon."

The Farmers Almanac says, "Full Moon names date back to Native Americans, of what is now the northern and eastern United States. The tribes kept track of the seasons by giving distinctive names to each recurring full Moon. Their names were applied to the entire month in which each occurred. There was some variation in the Moon names, but in general, the same ones were current throughout the Algonquin tribes from New England to Lake Superior. European settlers followed that custom and created some of their own names. Since the lunar month is only 29 days long on the average, the full Moon dates shift from year to year."

Later tonight when I make last rounds to check on the animals, I won't need my flash light. I'll take a moment to gaze in wonder at the night sky, the bowl of stars as far as my eye can see, and that wondrous moon. Perhaps I'll hear a owl call. That would be the frosting on the cake of this day.

No comments: