Sunday, March 8, 2015

Mood madness...

My friend Liz introduced me to the saying, "A mother is only as happy as her unhappiest child." It is SO true. I have also recently discovered that I am only as happy as my unhappiest GOAT.



Regular blog readers will recognize Luna. She is my first goat. And I guess she is my "heart goat." I love this animal. I had no idea that goats were smart, friendly, cuddly and delightful. Luna taught me all those things. She is expecting kids in 4 weeks. See that belly? I am guessing twins. She has not been feeling well for 2 or 3 weeks now. I suspect it is something called pregnancy toxemia. She has lost her appetite and lost weight, trembles in the cold mornings and sometimes seems confused. I am fighting to keep her healthy with all I've got. She gets probiotics and calcium supplements, sweet treats to boost her blood sugar,goat drench full of vitamins and minerals morning and night, buckets of warm water with molasses or electrolytes in it, small meals offered every few hours throughout the day, vitamin B injections and special foods to tempt her. I lay in the straw in her stall and pet her, cajoling her to eat a handful of food. The other goats and the horse seem jealous.



I don't care. They are healthy and fit and fine. Poor Luna needs extra care. Look at that silly face! Can you see why I am so fond of her? This morning she was bright eyed and perky, making me laugh and eating her breakfast. So today is a good day. I am happy because she is well. Yesterday, she was all droopy and pathetic in the morning, and that set the tone for my entire day. I worried and fretted while I worked, peeking out the window often to see if I could catch a glimpse of her. It is madness to have my moods so firmly attached to the way a barn yard animal is feeling. I guess I need to just embrace my crazy, because I don't know how to change it.

No comments: