Thursday, March 26, 2009

And now she is ....

TWENTY!
Today I am remembering funny things she did and said when she was small, the famous two year old phrase, "No. I do all by myself." Followed by (in the sweetest, most cajoling little voice, ) "You wanna help me, Mum?" The tantrums and "tooshie flops," when she'd get so mad she'd lift her little feet up and fall smack on her diapered behind. I'm remembering how she could carefully and gently bottle feed orphaned kittens at the tender age of two, and her magical way with animals in general. I remember how she liked to perch on the counter and chatter and help while I cooked. I grin to recall how one night when Chris and I had planned a rare "kid free" outing and our babysitter stood us up, Rachel gleefully held our hands as we walked about on our evening and said, "From now on, I go on ALL your dates with you." And she pretty much did! I remember making blanket forts and snuggling to watch movies, jumping in rain puddles in our bare feet, waking up to her sweet little voice, "It's GOOD MORNING to YOU!"
Happy Birthday, my sweet girl. It's a new morning for you as you step off into adulthood.
You are and always have been adored. It has been a privilege to be your mommy.

3 comments:

Cottage Smallholder said...

Happy birthday, precious girl.

Wonderful post. With so many happy images. Thank you.

Not So Apropos said...

AND ALWAYS WILL BE! You forgot that she ALWAYS WILL be adored!!

You always will be adored, Cheeks!

Aimee

Billy Rafferty and Jill Cahr said...

This is a wonderful post. It's bittersweet but clearly demonstrates what a wonderful mom you are!