Sunday, March 22, 2009

Obsession...

I hate for you, Gentle Reader, to think I am obsessed by my chickens... but alas, this seems to be so!

Two of the four "ladies," are broody now, sitting on nests, looking fiercely at intruders, and waiting to hatch eggs. Since, as I have previously explained, we are rooster less, the outlook for baby chicks was bleak!

Last night we drove to Belgrade Lakes to the home of where we purchased "the ladies" last year. And we brought home a dozen eggs, hopefully fertilized eggs. Last night I tucked the eggs up under the broody girls, 4 for one, 7 for the other. One got cracked when Layah, the chicken pictured here, gave me a vicious pinch and I was startled and smacked the egg in my hand on the nest box, hard.

The chicken man told me that if I had a 50% hatch I'd be doing well. In 21 days we will see if the ladies long nest-vigil has been worthwhile, and perhaps we'll have wee little peeps dashing about the coop. I have to imagine there is not much cuter than a bunch of wee chick's.

Stay tuned ... more obsession photos to come, I feel sure!

1 comment:

TwoCanines said...

That is one ANGRY looking hen!!