Sunday, March 15, 2009

And THEN...


And then I learned to make Schnecken! This is the word for "snail," in German. Schnecken is like... um... cinnamon buns on steroids. I make dough (from scratch, oh yeah!) and then roll it out. I layer the dough with softened butter, brown sugar, lots of cinnamon, raisins and pecans. I then roll the dough up like a jelly roll. On the bottom of a cake pan I put MORE butter, brown sugar, more cinnamon, pecans and a droozle of corn syrup. Then I slice the rolled up dough into disks and lay them in the pan. Let them rise, then bake. When they are cooked I turn the whole mass out onto a clean platter. The SMELL of this as it cooks... it is so good you want to eat the air! But really, it is best to wait and eat the Schnecken... it is totally delicious, and beautiful, too.

No comments: