Sunday, February 21, 2010

Signs of Spring...



I am an odd bird. I enjoy winter. I love the snow, the quiet, the beauty of the outdoors. And I love the welcoming warmth of home. That being said, I also am delighted by the first signs of spring.

For the last two weeks I have noticed that the birds have begun to call more, and that some of them are singing their spring time mating songs. And today I saw that the sugar maples are being tapped.

People here tap the maples when the sap begins to rise... they collect that sap in buckets and boil it down until it becomes that magical elixer, maple syrup.

Nature shows subtle signs of the change of season that are not always noticed unless one looks carefully. I have looked. I have seen. I have recorded. Spring is coming, sure as the sap rises.

No comments: