Monday, August 9, 2010

Sometimes simple is best...






I confess. I have fancy envy. I envy those who cook fancy meals, who set fancy tables, who have fancy flowers. But I am not that kind of person. I am more of a simple person. And mostly, I am OK with that.


My niece Emily emailed last night and said she would be in my neck of the woods today, could she drop by for dinner? This request was a delight, as Emily is one of my most favorite humans in the world and I don't get to see her enough. Part of me plotted and planned to have a fancy meal for her... but the real me shone through. It was a hot day and I had writing assignments to work on, thus not much time for being fancy. We dined on cold roast chicken (from chicken raised here) a mess of hot sauteed veggies all locally grown (zucchini, tomato's, onions, garlic and summer squash,) and roasted corn on the cob. And we ate at the picnic table surrounded by chickens, dogs and lambs. I had a single stem of Gladiola stuffed into an old bottle on the kitchen table. Not a thing fancy there! For dessert we had fresh locally grown berries and whipped cream. Plain and simple as a board fence... but beautiful in the bowl as well as on the tongue.


Yes, mostly I am OK with being simple.

1 comment:

Not So Apropos said...

I saw the picture of the Gladiola and grinned... I came home to a great big bouquet of them last night, though mine are burgundy. A sweet, simple surprise. xo, Sass