Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Things I love about the Union Fair...












Mostly I love the livestock. The cows, all trimmed and washed and fluff dried. Huge and healthy, placid and sweet faced. I love the sheep and the pigs and the chickens and ducks.

The 4-H kids in their ironed blue jeans and white button down shirts? I love them. A lot.

The rows of canned beans, fresh picked flowers, potatoes and squash and peppers and onions? Lovely. The hand stitched quilts and dolls and knitted afghans make me smile. The smell of fair food is intoxicating, the sound of children and the barkers calling and the tinny music from the rides and the sight of couples young and old, walking hand in hand, taking in the flooding of the senses that is the fair. I love it all.
The evening sky over the garish lights reminds me that when the when fair season is over, a quiet beauty remains.

1 comment:

solarity said...

You left out the goats! [shocked]

Is that guy hand-scissoring that sheep?

Mary Anne in Kentucky