Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Bad bathroom...

When I first clapped eyes on this house via the Internet 8 years ago, I fell in love. Hard.
And when I got to see the place in person on a raw March day I loved it even more. Except for the upstairs bathroom, which was uglier than ugly. And it smelled bad. It had heinous wallpaper and gross CARPET, (in a bathroom? icky!)
Shortly after moving I tore the carpet out. Under it was ancient, flaking linoleum. Up it came. I sanded the floor, stained and sealed it. I peeled off ick paper and painted the walls. Chris put up new lights for me, and I hung a funky mirror from a junk shop. I could not change the horrid vanity/sink or the oh so ugly tub. The room looked better, but the ceiling was a mess and the room has been an embarrassment. I figured the whole thing needed to be gutted and redone. Sadly, that level of rehab was not in the budget.

Recently, Chris has agreed to help me with the vexing bathroom by removing the hated vanity and replacing it with a simple pedestal sink. I was vexed about the ceiling. I was sure it was beyond hope and would need to be totally replaced. Tonight I scraped it, sanded it and patched it. After a few hours I sanded it again and rolled paint on. It came out far, FAR better than I could have hoped. In fact, it looks... good! (Not perfect, but really? GOOD!)

Next we will put in a new sink, new bead board paneling and hang an even funkier mirror. I will be so pleased to have this space refreshed and refurbished. It won't be perfect, but it will be just fine..

No comments: