Sunday, November 21, 2010

Lighting up the night...

In Maine in the late fall and winter, dark comes early. When I come home shortly after 4 PM, my world is shrouded in deep dusk. To me this makes coming home sweeter than ever. Inside is light and warm.

Some Mainers brighten this time of year by putting candles in their windows. I put mine up today... a flickering candle for every window. Then I went outside, wearing my husbands jacket. There I stood in the cold deep dusk, admiring my house. The candles say welcome to visitors and passersby and they flicker bravely in the face of the long, dark winter nights.

2 comments:

Sean Patrick said...

Daryl I truly love your blog and it rarely fails to bring a smile to my face. On days you fail to post it turns upside down into a frown. Someday I will come to Maine and see the place you call home. Someday.

Daryl said...

You are welcome any time... I'll take you kayaking and cook you lobster. xoxo