Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Makeover on a shoestring...



A few days ago I posted about the makeover we were doing on our "bad bathroom." This bathroom had ugly open shelving, horrid, chipped wainscoting, a perma-stained floor, and a ceiling that was cracked and peeling. It also had a HUGE, hideous vanity. It was Ugly with a capital "U."
My sweet husband and I are fairly inept at home improvements. We are the sort of people who measure once and cut twice. And along the way this project had some grim moments... but much as we do in life, we just kept at it, chipping away, confident that everything would turn out alright. And it did! This little room is quite in keeping with a 100+ year old Maine farmhouse.
I have always been grateful for the indoor plumbing, hot shower and warmth of this room, but now it makes me smile when I see it, too. And Sherrie? Note your grandmothers painting on the wall! The perfect colors and such a great scene. Thank you for the gift, it is well loved.
The funky mirror was a recent yard sale find, $5.00! The 50's style tissue dispenser, toilet paper storage tower and painted shelf were all from flea markets and junk stores. The wicker trash can and paper dispenser cost $1.00 each. I do so love a "bah-gain!"
I am so pleased with the end result of our bathroom makeover!

3 comments:

Cottagecheap said...

Love it!

solarity said...

It looks lovely! I love the painted floor.

Mary Anne in Kentucky

Cheryl and Phil said...

Love how you've used Gramma Seymour's painting of Coventry Lake! Funny how so many things are just meant.