Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving...

One of the things I love about Thanksgiving is listening. I like to listen to the ebb and flow of conversation as people meet and greet and laugh. When the walls of this old house are filled to bursting with folks chattering and eating, it makes a certain sound that is just... joyous.
I also like to listen to the silence that happens for just a few moments when everyone begins to eat. The rooms take on an expectant hush as turkey and mashed potatoes are tasted.
And there is the dessert table! Pies, cakes, ice cream... sweet! This year my sister Deb, niece Elyse and daughter Rachel helped cook the food, (of course guests brought contributions as well.)We had a lively discussion about which of the younger generation will take on the holiday baton when I become too decrepit to cook the meal. It is a nice thought that the day means enough to them that they want to carry it on at some point.

We had 20 people here (from 3 states!) and served buffet style. We cooked twenty pounds of potatoes, because last year we ran out of them! A travesty!
Brother in law John and sweet husband Chris carved the turkeys. Yes, plural. Chris smokes one and I roast one. Dueling birds. I have to say those free range turkeys we bought (see post from a day or two ago) were simply amazing.




Just before company arrived I took a little break, and put my feet up. A mimosa tasted good after cooking, cleaning and getting ready for the feast. The dogs were happy to help hold me down while I rested a bit.


Now the guests are gone, and we are left with a refrigerator full of succulent leftovers and happy memories of a lovely holiday. A little bit of laughter, a lot of food, and bunches of love. SO much to be thankful for.








No comments: