Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Doing business the old fashioned way...


The last few years I have ordered expensive "free range" turkeys from my favorite local farm stand. I pictured turkeys raised on a farm, grazing on fresh grass and snatching bugs. Last year I realized that the birds I had bought were actually raised at a poultry place that does have a paddock for them, but mostly they are crammed together on dirt.
This year I happened to see a place out in the country that said, "Turkeys, Eggs, Boat Repair." How could I resist? So I called. I talked to a woman named Linda. She told me the variety of birds they had (broad breasted whites) and said they did actually live on pasture. We arranged that I would buy two turkeys, 15-20 lb. range. (Traditionally we smoke one and roast one. Leftovers for everyone!) She took my name and number and said she'd call me the Tuesday before Thanksgiving for pick up.
I asked if she'd like me send her a deposit to hold the birds. She said no, my word was good enough. I worried a bit, what if she didn't end up with enough turkeys? What if she sold more than she planned? What if she didn't call? What if I got down to the day before Thanksgiving and had to buy (gasp!) common grocery store turkeys?
Today, at 1 o'clock, my phone rang. "Hi. This is Linda. Your birds will be ready by 2. What time do you think you will be here to get them?" I told her it would be after work, "That's fine. I'll see you then!"
And now, two incredibly fresh turkeys are chilling in the 'fridge. And we met really nice new people. And I am loving the old fashioned way of doing business. Maine... the way life should be.

3 comments:

solarity said...

Monday night I'm going to my first in a short series of poultry classes the extension office is offering. After I find out, with chickens, whether I've inherited my grandmother's skill with poultry I may try some turkeys. First, I need some coyote and hawk proof place to raise them all.

[WV 'borprot' certainly sounds like a chicken disease;) ]

Mary Anne in Kentucky

Art Blomquist said...

We like doing business that way too! Even bartering and trading whenever possible. Person to person, the lesson Big Business forgot. And doesn't want us to know about.

I'll bet the turks were delicious!

Daryl said...

Art, you are so right. It was the best turkey we ever ate!