Monday, June 27, 2016

Magical day...

I got lucky in the in-law department.  And today my sister-in-law Brenda and her daughter Lisa were to visit in Bar Harbor, Maine while on a New England cruise.  We all took the day off so we could see them.  It wasn't enough time, really, but it was some time, and that was a gift.

The drive from here to Bar Harbor is lovely, and chatting and catching up was a delight.  There were Whoopie Pies and Blueberry pie involved.  And a few laughs.  Then they were off on a tour and we were headed home to feed baby goats and have a peaceful afternoon.

The weather? PERFECT. I took my camera out to the back yard along with a good book and a cold drink.  Caught a few images to illustrate the afternoon...




Bravo turned an empty sour cream container into a fun toy, then posed for a handsome new close up shot of his little face.

In the pasture, the ducks chased bugs and gobbled up the seed heads on the grass.


The ducklings are growing at astonishing speed.

Luna whispered a joke into Ella's ear. Ella laughed and laughed.


As the sun got lower in the sky, Chris grilled up a marvelous supper. 

Meanwhile, the fat, round, broiler chicks ate their fill, while the adult layer birds strutted about.

I caught movement out of the corner of my eye.  Something red and fast in the meadow.  

A beautiful fox. It arched and bounded and hunted there, just beyond our fence.  I would have enjoyed it's wild beauty more if I didn't have pasture full of chickens and ducks that I knew he would love to hunt.  We stayed out, watching him, until he vanished into the pines. Then we hustled the birds into their safe coops, and came in to enjoy a delicious meal.

It truly was a magical day.

No comments: