Thursday, August 13, 2009

Footprints...

Whales, being mammals, have to come to the oceans surface to breathe. When they submerge again, they leave what is called a "footprint." If you look at the center of this photo, you will see a circle where the water is smooth. That is the footprint left by a Finback whale. Whalers used to think the spot left when a whale dove was oil, secreted from the animal. Instead it is a moment of smooth water left after the huge body of the whale slips beneath the water.

I have been thinking lately, of what sort of "footprint" I will leave when I go. I believe that although all people die, they live on in a way in the memories of those people they have touched while they walked the earth. How will those I leave behind remember me? I have not achieved any measure of greatness thus far in my life, and I rather doubt that I will before I die. But what I hope to leave as a "footprint" is memories of unexpected kindnesses, spontaneous laughter, generous love. And a mean loaf of home made bread.

What kind of footprint will you leave as you go?

1 comment:

Cottagecheap said...

Your house will echo the thousand laughs with which you have filled it and those echoes will reach into eternity.

My life has been made better having known you, my son's life made better....and by extension all those I touch.

We do not leave footprints in choppy water we put ripples in still water...some good/some bad....

You splash well, my dear friend and your ripples touch those you don't even know they touch.