Sunday, August 9, 2009

Hawk...

I think this is a Sharp Shinned hawk. I am waiting for confirmation of this from my very smart bird watching brother in law. There were two of these beautiful birds in my big Bernstein Bear dead tree this morning. They let me take several photos before winging off, out over the pond, crying their "Kee Kee Kee..." as they left. I suspect these are the same birds that nested this summer in the woods to the north of the meadow. I could hear them calling at all hours, and saw them chasing off the local flock of crows at every opportunity. This made for interesting viewing, as the crows were nesting in the same area. There were ariel battles throughout the day all summer long. Now the crows and the little hawks take turns sitting in this huge tree, on the lookout for their next meal.

No comments: