Sunday, June 20, 2010

A fine father...

My father, David S. Waters, was a wonderful man. Known for his devotion to family and his country, his work ethic, his honesty, his penchant for driving convertible cars (and waving at every person he passed!) and his sometimes off-color sense of humor, I was always proud to be his daughter. He was a fine father-I loved him, and I know he loved me. But I never had the level of relationship with him that my daughter, Rachel, has had with her father.

When Rachel was new, Chris didn't know what to do with her. If she cried, he turned the TV up louder to drown out the sound. If I asked him to watch her infant self for a moment, he was liable to strap her to the changing table and go take a shower. More than once I despaired that the man I chose to marry would never make it as the wonderful father for our kid that I had hoped for.

Sometimes it is good to be wrong. Once she was past the brand-new infant phase, Chris blossomed into the most wonderful father ever. He is the kindest, gentlest, most supportive and giving man I have ever known. And he rained these qualities on our baby. Our daughter grew up with a daddy that adored her, took her on hundreds of memorable daddy-daughter dates, taught her how to ride a bike and drive a car, discussed things like politics and religion and war and you name it and gave her the following advice about the males of the species: "boys are icky." He has showered her with gifts over the last 21 years, and I think she would be the first to say she has been blessed with a father that loves her.

Not only is my sweet husband my soul mate and lover and best friend, he is a father to be admired. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I am a lucky woman. And our daughter? She has been blessed by having Chris for a daddy. Happy Father's Day, Chris. Thank you for being my partner in parenting and in all things. Cheers!

No comments: