Monday, June 28, 2010

Projects...

I've been embroiled in yard projects of late, and I love it. I love the work and I love the end results, too.

I've been wanting a special bird bath for the yard for a long time. We keep a birdy cafe open 365 days a year and we delight in seeing a wide variety of birds, from chickadee's to grosbeaks dining here.

Yesterday I was driving out in the giggle weeds at dusk. I passed a place with two beautiful granite bird baths by the side of the road with a small "for sale," sign. I turned around, jotted down the phone number, and on a whim dialed it right then. I hated to bother the people selling the baths at dusk on a Sunday, but they told me to drive up to the house because they had more baths there.

Turns out the man there makes the baths himself, from fabulous native granite stones he and his wife find on their property. And he sells them for about 1/3 of the cost I've ever seen them before. I had to have one... and the one I chose has a smattering of tiny fossils all over the rim.

Today Chris helped me carry it from my truck to the yard. It is one heavy thing! I dug a hole and we set it in . It looked wonderful, but lacked something. Dinner could wait... I laid out some rocks, asked Chris to wack the grass down, and then I hauled mulch in. In no time I had created an avian oasis of sorts. Easy on they eyes, and bound to make me grin.

2 comments:

Sean Patrick said...

That is a very cool thing. I demand a closeup of the fossils....please.

Unknown said...

That is truly a special birdbath, Daryl! Great find!