Thursday, June 10, 2010

What a little paint can do...

Seven years ago we looked for a house in Maine while living in Memphis. We saw a blur of 14 houses in a day and a half. When we got to this house I just KNEW- this was it. The place fit me like a favorite pair of blue jeans. It was more money than we wanted to spend, but it had so much that I had dreamed of. It sat on a sunny lot, had a new kitchen, wooden floors, bead board paneling, an upstairs laundry... and this PORCH! The entire front of the house is a wonderful sun porch. There are over 250 panes of glass there, and they were painted black. A long, LONG time ago. The paint had peeled and flaked and the glazing on the glass was in sad shape. It was a daunting project. So I did what I do best and procrastinated.

This spring we stopped procrastinating and scraped and re-glazed and primed and painted a LOT of windows. It was an ugly project. There were ladders involved, and I don't love climbing ladders. There were also spiders involved, and I don't love spiders.

The end results, however, are so sweet. I love how light and bright the house looks now. My neighbors have commented, too... they like the pretty new look. One said, "It looks so welcoming now." Ahhhh. I like that. Spurred on by the improvement, I am redoing the front gardens, a bit at a time. Making them wider, adding landscaping stone boarders, new plants and deep mulch.

One thing about projects, such as painting... they spur on OTHER projects. I wonder what will be next?

No comments: